Herbwifery: Herbalism from the grass roots.

Defining "Cultural Appropriation"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Herbwifery Forum Index -> Cultural Appropriation in Herbalism
Prairie Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, we're cross posting (/editing)! whee!
jim mcdonald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh... I guess you're less confused than I am... yes - other thread.
Prairie Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To continue the discussion, I like this link:

http://muse.jhu.edu/demo/american_indian_quarterly/v024/24.3aldred.html

It's from an academic perspective, which can be sobering. (As in sober you up.)

I like to think in terms of long vast view of history and culture. I feel that to be in solidarity with Earth, some things can be taken as a given when dealing with this problem, like that there are nativenesses for every place on Earth, although they may be very severely damaged; that everyone is included and has a right as well as a responsibility to wholeness; and that Earth needs a diversity of human cultures just as badly as Ze needs a diversity of plant, mineral, and other animal cultures.

I see folk in hubris sickness of western world suffering spiritually. This is really true and I also see it as a human rights issue. We who are part of this sickness space suffer for the lack of adequate challenges to our pumped up selfish running around in circles. I am totally earnest when I say this. I don't think it's helpful when critics allow themselves to be mean and derogatory about it.

So in the middle of reality, the folks we come across are from different places in the extremes culture is taking nowadays. So understanding the world can be good.

Like the ultimate healing is a world healing and a community healing, and not a healing of individuals with complaints.

And then in our relations with people to be mindful of what is happening on that macro level of culture, and to assist wherever we can there.

I mentioned western hubris population spinning, it's possible that this spinning be a good spinning and take a direction of more complete world connectedness when the spinning is finished. On a mass scale there is the devaluation of the wild spirit, and this is what we seek. Alot of the new age excuses are efforts from that particular wound to heal and a culture of healing can be fostered that is that particular story. that individual culture developing.

these are first stages and true committed vision is needed to create real new nations from this chaos cauldron. but it can be done. it's not the first time.

Ainslie
Prairie Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackthorn, you're right. I didn't read your post adequately. I thought you didn't boil it down enough and I was feeling like I was going to get snowed under by the sheer mass of denial that you can come across sometimes when handling this issue. I felt like I just needed to get the message out. But you did boil it down at the end. making it harmonise perfectly with my view. thank you for it anyway. I'm sorry I was too simplistic!

Ainslie
Hillegonda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stormwatcher"] Personally, sweet grass is one of my favorite herbs. In enjoying and using sweet grass, am I infringing on anyone's cultural boundaries?

What a nice subject :-). I think it all has to do with respect and knowledge.

Culture is always influenced by other cultures and will change during time.

Mindlessly copying native american ways..of any other attractive exotic culture is irritating for me, but why not incorporate aspects that feel good for you, and that you approach with respect.

Then Sweet grass...Stormwatcher..i have good news for you...Sweet grass ((Hierochloe odorata) is also native in Europe...In the Netherlands we call it Mariagras (Grass of the Holy Virgin). And..to make things even more nice..there is a Polish Wodka that has tincture of sweet grass in it, it is named after the European Buffalo..the Wisent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BBubr%C3%B3wka

Sometimes cultures can be remarkable similair..:-)

Regards,
Hillegonda

If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT.

Frank Zappa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kyoki

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this started an interesting discussion about what we Americans can call our very own absolutely unique part of our culture.

So, we've decided that the only thing that Americans have that is uniquely, completely, originally our own is this giant stick up our backsides about how we've appropriated everyone else's cultures.

Oh, and French fries. And Gumbo. And Ebonics.

And the fine art of dipping French Fries into a cold Wendy's frosty... yo.

kate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I don't know, US Americans seem to have a pretty special brand of parochialism ;-p

(hint, not everyone in this thread, or on this forum, is from the US).
Kyoki

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm sorry if I gave that impression... I know not everyone is from the US.

It's sort of poking fun at my own culture. ^_^ I do that a lot. I'm afraid I'm not much for politically correct...
kate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I misunderstood then.

I've been enjoying your posts around the place :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Herbwifery Forum Index -> Cultural Appropriation in Herbalism All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: